Fatboy or gater

Post here with your questions and comments about choosing a backwoods cooker, ask people who are using them now to share their experiences with you.

Fatboy or gater

Postby firepitt36 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:24 am

I have big David Klose pit that is on a trailer but wondering if I should get a fatboy or a backwoods gater I know the gater is alittle more deeper but is it really that big of a difference than a fatboy just wondering oh I also have a chubby
firepitt36

Re: Fatboy or gater

Postby RickC » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:37 pm

The gator comes with a removable water pan, commercial fire grate, and expanded metal racks. I wish for a Gator, it will be my next BWS.
Rick
Administrator, Backwoods Smoker Forum
"I carry a gun, 'cause a Cop is to [sic] heavy"
RickC
Site Admin

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:46 am

If you like to cook with pans you need the Gator, which will hold a full sized foil pan.
You can get a full sized pan in the Fatboy but you have to bend it to fit and it messes up air circulation.
Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Smoker; Backwoods Fat Boy; 22.5 WSM; Hasty Bake Gourmet; Napoleon 22.5 Grill
Bob

Postby RickC » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:18 pm

The new Fatboy G2 may be the kicker. Bigger than a Gater, but you don't have the removable water pan unless you order it that way.
Rick
RickC
Site Admin

Postby renegade4377 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:31 pm

but is it not better to have non removable water pan and the ability to fill the water pan without opening the door during the cooking cycle? was trying to decide between the G2 Party and the G2 Fatboy G2 Fatboy looks to be much more cooker for very little money difference and it fits full size steam pan
renegade4377

Postby RickC » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:44 am

I do not have to put water in the Gater more than once on a long cook. I do have a heat diverter and cook low and slow, about 225-230. I don't see that much of a heat loss when I put water in, the Guru brings it right back up. I do like the option of cooking over direct heat if I need to.
Rick
RickC
Site Admin

Return to Help with Choosing a Backwoods Cooker