The perfect bark

Use this area for general questions or comments you may have.

The perfect bark

Postby coon dog » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:56 pm

I like for my meat to have a perfect bark. Not at all a mushy mixture of rub and such. Firm, mahogany, crusty bark. When i cook on my new BWS the steam gives a mushier bark then i prefer. There are things that i love about my cooker but so far this ain't one of them. HELP
coon dog

Re: The perfect bark

Postby coon dog » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:52 am

I've been cooking primarialy with lump charcoal. Not much wood added for smoke. Do u think that less smoke would have an effect? Am i the only one who has a damp crust? Or am i the only one it bothers? I thiught about putting a few water bottles in the freezer and dropping one in my water pan about 30 min before the end of the cook in order to dry it up.
coon dog

Postby fire&spiceBBQ » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:04 am

I personally dont like a hard bark.

What temps are you cooking at?
I would think if you go a bit hotter at the end it should firm up the bark?

I also go waterless sometimes, and that may be an option for you as well, These are a insulated pit, so they will hold moisture.

Eric
Authorized Backwoods Dealer
fireandspicebbq@gmail.com
Gater (coming soon)
fire&spiceBBQ

Postby coon dog » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:10 pm

A hard bark may not be what I'm talking about. Matter of fact, bark may be the wrong word. IDK. I was raised helpin the men cook around the pits and bark was a word never used by them unless they were talkin about dogs. But i like for the outside to be kinda sealed and not mushy if that makes any sense. I have been cookin pretty low temps i guess. About 225 normally for pork. My thinkin was that higher temps would mean harder boil and that would mean more moisture. May be full of it tho. Wacha think?
coon dog

Postby jboal » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:41 pm

I had the same problem. I was able to make significant improvements by not using a slather and drying the meat as much as possible before I applied my rub.
jboal

Postby coon dog » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks for the replys. Plz don't think I'm complaining. Matter of fact Id not hesitate to recomend the BWS to anyone. And I've really enjoyed the results that I've gotten every time I've cooked with it. I'm tweaking now.
coon dog

Postby RickC » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:28 am

Coon dog, did you ever get your bark to come out like you wanted it to?
Rick
Administrator, Backwoods Smoker Forum
"I carry a gun, 'cause a Cop is to [sic] heavy"
RickC
Site Admin

Return to General Questions and Topics