Water in firebox

Ask questions here for other Backwoods Owners to answer about your Backwoods cooker.

Water in firebox

Postby cbbq » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:10 am

Hello all! I'm a new G2 Fatboy owner. This topic has possibly been discussed in the past, but I could not find it with a quick search. I have been cleaning the smoker up the morning after each cook and I have found a decent amount of water standing in the bottom of the firebox. Is this the norm? I'm guessing all of the condensation in the double walls is simply draining back down into the firebox once I shut the vents down. This is hard to see at first glance, even after sliding out the fire pan. The first time I noticed it, I was trying to shop vac up the little bit of ash at the bottom of the firebox and I realized I was sucking up water! The permanent water pan is hard enough to clean out as the drain is not located at the lowest point of the pan. Having to clean up about as much water out of the firebox was not expected! Any feedback would be appreciated...thanks!
cbbq

Re: Water in firebox

Postby RickC » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:56 am

No there is no condensation. I'm thinking about this overnight, I'm leaning to a leak somewhere. I'll call the shop in the morning after I get up. I'm just getting in bed now at 03:00, will be up by 09:30 or 10:00.
Rick
Administrator, Backwoods Smoker Forum
"I carry a gun, 'cause a Cop is to [sic] heavy"
RickC
Site Admin

Postby RickC » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:56 am

Heard you had spoke to Chase about your problem. Let us know know if leaving the upper vent open solves the water problem as it cools down.
Rick
RickC
Site Admin

Postby cbbq » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:21 pm

Rick, thanks for touching base! Shortly after your response I checked the water pan for a leak and did not find one. Sooo...I decided to give Chase a shout to see if my theory was correct. He confirmed that it was definitely condensation rolling down the walls. Unfortunately, I was not able to cook over weekend, but I will this Saturday. I'll let you know if leaving the top vent open solves the problem. I picked up a gorgeous 20 lb brisket at Restaurant Depot today and I'm super excited to see what the Fatboy does to it!
cbbq

Postby RickC » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:39 pm

It will do fantastic. BWS's do great with any meat you put in them. It's hard to mess up with a BWS after you learn how to cook low and slow on them.
Rick
RickC
Site Admin

Postby cbbq » Tue May 03, 2016 2:24 pm

Well...I was fairly happy with my first brisket on the backwoods. Although, leaving the top open while letting the cooker cool down did not keep moisture from getting into the firebox. I was not surprised because 3 hours into the cook I took a peak into the firebox and there was already moisture collecting in the bottom! These cookers apparently have sooo much moisture flowing through them it goes everywhere because of the double wall design. Am I the only one that experiences this???
cbbq

Postby Old Dave » Wed May 04, 2016 12:12 am

Mr cbbq,

You have discovered one of the traits of the short Backwoods Smokers and there are a couple of things you can do to improve your cooking with your cooker.

First and most important, do not run the cooker over 225 degrees measured with the standard door thermometer "using water" as any temperature over this will produce a more vigorous boil in the pan and will produce way too much moisture inside the cooker. I'll bet you were having most of your rub wash off of your meat as well during the cook if you were using a higher cooking temperature.

You can also loosely wrap your non built in water pan with foil leaving a much smaller opening to prevent less moisture in the cooker.

You could use less water at the start of the cook and when filling, again use less water in the pan especially at the start of the cook.

You can run the cooker without water using my tin foil method as many of the top cooks in the country have done so with great results. This is nice as many cooks are now using a higher (275-300) cooking temperature for most of their bbq cooking or smoking.

http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/200 ... ooker.html

Anyway, I would try the 225 degree door temp first to see if that will help and then try the other methods.

Dave
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Cooking Team
http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com
Old Dave
BBQ Master

Postby RickC » Wed May 04, 2016 10:38 pm

I've never noticed any water in the firebox, especially with a fire burning in there. I can't understand how any water could be in a liquid form in a 300 degree firebox.
Rick
RickC
Site Admin

Postby cbbq » Thu May 05, 2016 4:28 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys! Old Dave, can you confirm that you have found water in the firebox of your cookers?
cbbq

Postby Old Dave » Thu May 05, 2016 9:16 pm

No Sir, I can't confirm that I have found a puddle of water in the firebox after a cook in either my Fatboy or Chubby cookers. However, I have found some moist ash after a cook a time or two.
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Cooking Team
http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com
Old Dave
BBQ Master

Postby RickC » Fri May 06, 2016 12:58 am

I'm not saying that it can't happen, but I cook in the 225-235 range all the time. I try to plan my water level to be at a low level by the time the cook is finished. Now I have found water in the firebox after I have moved the smoker, but all my BWS's have removable water pans and I can splash it over the edge when it gets moved back in the garage after a cook. I have no experience with the fixed water pans.
Rick
RickC
Site Admin

Postby cbbq » Mon May 23, 2016 7:48 am

I continue to have moisture collect inside the firebox throughout each cook. It seems to mainly be in the front corners. So for my last cook, I only put a little over a gallon of water in the pan and just enough charcoal to get by. I was basically out of water when I pulled the meat. I shut the bottom vents and left the top open for probably 2 hours, which wasted the bit of charcoal that was left. The next morning the firebox was moist, but I did not have water standing. I think that's about as good as I'm gonna get. I did some beef plate ribs and they turned out great!
cbbq

Return to Questions about your Backwoods Cooker