Smoked Turkey

Talk about the best preperation recipe's you have used to make the most mouth watering BBQ ever!

Smoked Turkey

Postby RickC » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:54 am

It's been awfully quiet on the forum the last few days. I guess everyone is doing what I'm doing. Prepping for thanksgiving. I brined 4 turkeys and a breast today and they are all on the Gater now smoking with Hickory. Brined them with a dark brown sugar/kosher salt brine for 8 hours. Smoking them to 165 in the breast. Everybody have a great Thanksgiving.
Rick
Administrator, Backwoods Smoker Forum
"I carry a gun, 'cause a Cop is to [sic] heavy"
RickC
Site Admin

Re: Smoked Turkey

Postby Bossman » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:31 pm

Ill start by saying I'm a rookie. In fact I just seasoned my G2 chubby and decided to cook a couple chickens at the tail end of seasoning. First time smoking anything so I'm anxious to see how it goes. Going to do my first Boston butt tomorrow. Can you explain what you do to brine a turkey? Is there prep to the bird? Do you submerge? Do you reposition every so often? Any help appreciated! I'd like to do a turkey in a few weeks.

Thanks,

Scott
Bossman

Postby RickC » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:41 am

I brine them for flavor and moisture content. My turkeys are always moist and flavorful. For 1 medium turkey, around 15 lb, 1 pound kosher salt, 1 pound dark brown sugar, 6 qt water, 5 lb ice.

Place the hot water, kosher salt and brown sugar into a large pan and stir until the salt and sugar dissolve completely. Pour it into your cooler with the ice and stir until the mixture is cool. Gently lower the turkey into the container, I use a 45 qt cooler if I'm doing more than one turkey and double the brine and a smaller cooler if only 1 turkey. If necessary, weigh down the bird to ensure that it is fully immersed in the brine. Cover and set in a cool dry place for 8 to 16 hours. I brine mine no more then 8-10 hours

Remove the turkey from the brine, rinse and pat dry. Allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes prior to cooking.

Brine recipe is for one turkey. This also works great on chicken the only difference is that I put my chicken rub on the chicken after brining

This recipe for brining comes from Alton Brown.
Last edited by RickC on Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected marinade to brine
Rick
RickC
Site Admin

Postby harley_man1956 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:35 pm

I need a really good turkey brine recipe. The last time I brined a turkey it came out so salty that we couldn't eat it.
harley_man1956

Postby RickC » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:39 pm

Harley_man1956, how long did you brine it for? If you let it brine too long it will get too salty. I've used the recipe I gave above on dozens of turkeys and I have never had a problem with salty turkeys. Time is the important issue here.
Rick
RickC
Site Admin

Postby harley_man1956 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:26 am

I don't remember how long the turkey was in the brine, but it was overnight. Probably 12 hours or more. I had read somewhere where longer was better, but apparently that was bad advice. I will try your method.
harley_man1956

Postby RickC » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:39 am

harley_man1956, did you ever try my brine recipe from Alton Brown? I'm getting ready to smoke a batch of turkeys in the Gater in a couple of weeks for Thanksgiving.
Rick
RickC
Site Admin

Postby RickC » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:54 am

Well here it is another Thanksgiving almost here. I've got 6 turkeys out in the 150 qt. cooler in Alton Brown's turkey brine with the timer running on them. 12 hours later they will head for the Gater to be smoked to smokey moist perfection.
Rick
RickC
Site Admin

Return to Your best recipes!